Last week’s seismic decision in the Google Spain case continues to generate many column inches of comment and will no doubt continue to do so for some time. Datonomy’s colleagues in Olswang’s international privacy team have just published a paper considering the practical implications of this decision in the round. You can access it at this link. The paper considers:
- Google’s practical options in terms of next steps
- the implications for individuals’ rights
- the implications for online publishers
- what it means for the Right To Be Forgotten under the new EU Regulation
- the impact on wider “data debates” over other technologies such as email scanning and Google Glass
- what it tells us about the workings of Europe’s highest commercial court, and tactical tips for bringing referrals on points of EU law.
The paper is also available in PDF here.